Saturday 25 February 2023

JUST A SNAPSHOT

 

I held a picture of her

Just a snapshot

Dog eared and faded

Posed for posterity

A picture of a young girl

In a summer dress,

A “hand me down” clearly

The pattern faded

On the much altered garment

With a fraying hem

She was a pretty girl

With a face of innocence

Framed by brown tousled hair

A naïve and unaffected girl

Unsure of her beauty

And all the more beautiful because of it

Such a wonderful snapshot

Of a perfect moment

Captured so long ago

On a perfect day

I fell in love with her that day

As my heart melted

Like the snow in spring

I love her still and I’ve loved her

Every day in between.

Tears welled in my eyes

As I looked at that picture

Of naïve innocent beauty

And they fell unchecked

As I remembered

The woman she became

And the love we shared

But then she was taken from me

So all I have left is the snapshot

And all the memories it invokes

No comments:

Post a Comment