Sunday 9 January 2022

MEETING BENEATH THE CLOCK

Beneath the clock, I waited expectantly

Awaiting my blind date, a little nervously

He’s late but I don’t mind, at least not yet,

No doubt he’ll have a good reason, I bet.

 

He’s here at last and only an hour late

A good-looking man so worth the wait?

Clear blue eyes and his smile is terrific

Oh, but his breath could stop the traffic

Nobody’s perfect and he has a kind face

And he’s booked at an exclusive place

 

The restaurant looks fine, very expensive,

Alas appearances were definitely deceptive

The food was poor, and service shambolic

His conversation dull and monosyllabic


Drinking to excess and slobbering food

His table manners nothing short of rude

 

His drinking drove me around the bend

I couldn’t wait for the evening to end

The bill arrived and I was asked to pay half

I replied flatly “you’re having a laugh”


He leapt to his feet exploding with fury

But fell backwards into the shrubbery

I threw him a look of contempt and disdain

Embarrassed, I left saying “never again”

And “of course a blind date would go amiss,

I can’t believe I shaved my legs for this”

No comments:

Post a Comment