Wednesday 14 April 2021

THE SOUND OF SILENCE

 

When we first started dating

I had no expectation of forever

I was content with the immediate

And enjoyed each moment with her

All the mundane chatter

And flirtatious wordplay

Leading to the longing looks

And the sentimental words of love

Back then time evaporated,

Hours seeming to pass in seconds

And in all those moments

Precluding our life together

The one thing we never had was silence

 

But that was then and this is now

And now the silence deafens me

No more chatter

Words are used miserly

As if endowed with great value

And not to be wasted

On flirtation or sentiment

Words, when used, now bite

With venomous spite

Moments now last an eternity

Clocks that once seemed to race through time

Run now in slow motion

Her contemptuous looks wither me

Longing now for my extinction

No comments:

Post a Comment