Sunday 12 September 2021

PARTNERS IN TIME

I held your hand

Though you did not know it

And I remembered

The first time I held it

That august day so long ago

When the magic passed between us

And I knew I had found my mate

It was such an innocuous action

We were on the train

Two travelling strangers 

As it rattled its way through Surrey

You were getting to your feet

When the train lurched

And you fell back with a bump

I offered you my hand

Which you took

And the dye was cast

Our journey together began

Now your journey is nearly at its end

And I sit in vigil at your side

Where I will remain

Until life leaves your body

On that quiet final breath

I said when we were young

“I would love you all of your life”

When you were still you,

Before the morphine took you

You said to me

“Will you still love me all of my life?”

With a crack in my voice I said

“No I’ll love you for all of mine”

No comments:

Post a Comment