Saturday 23 October 2021

SHE LOOKS LIKE THE GIRL NEXT DOOR

 

She looks like the girl next door,

Well my interpretation anyway,

And for me she literally is

The girl next door

The studious Rebecca

Full of cleverness

The only child of the Coopers

Now the studious orphan Rebecca

The bookish girl next door

A homely girl though

In the unpretentious sense

Certainly not plain,

But rather understated

She is unworldly

In as much as the temporal world

Holds no sway for her

Rebecca is an attractive girl

Though not in any obvious way

Dressed casually, always

Mousy hair worn indistinctly

She has never been flash, quirky

Or groundbreaking

No its homespun sweaters

And supermarket jeans

Not exactly the height of fashion

But not dowdy nor frumpy

Unlike most of the world

I look beneath the homespun

As I have all my life

But no one else sees Rebecca

Alas she does not see me

The bookish girl next door

She has her heroes of fiction

How could I compete?

With Ahab or Hornblower

Copperfield or Darcy

No comments:

Post a Comment