Wednesday 10 August 2022

Uncanny Christmas Tales – (033) Many a Good Tune

 

The Dulcets were a collection of villages and hamlets comprising of Dulcet Meadow, Dulcet-on-Willow, Dulcet Green and Dulcet-on-Brooke, to name but a few, and of course Dulcet St Mary which was where the Dulcet Garden Centre was located, which was where Assistant Manager Lily Rodney had taken early retirement as she was making major changes in her life.

 

Lily Rodney had just turned 50 and had been unhappily married for thirty years to a gambler and womanizer, she had known about the former from the beginning, but the latter was a much more recent revelation.

She retaliated to his infidelity by embarking on an affair with a man twenty years her junior, Richard Mansell, and it was on the door of his cottage in Dulcet St Mary that she knocked at 8pm on the night of the Golf Club Christmas dinner wearing full evening wear, and behind her a taxi was pulling away.

“Hello” he said with genuine surprise

“Hello Darling” Lily responded, “Can I come in? Its bloody freezing”

“Of course,” He said fussily “come in, come in”

Once inside she slipped off her stole and walked through to the lounge and he thought she looked absolutely gorgeous in a full-length black evening dress.

“You’re a bit overdressed for my humble abode” he observed mentally undressing her.

“I know” she said as she sat down “I was going to the Christmas Dinner but…”

“But?” he asked

“I couldn’t face everyone quizzing me about Bill”

“About what?” he quizzed

“I’m divorcing him” she replied, “I don’t want him back, I’m moving on”

“I’m sorry,” he said inadequately

“I’m not” Lily said surprisingly “though it’s your fault in a way”

“Then I should be sorry,” he admitted

“No, you opened my eyes and showed me that I’m still an attractive woman, still a sexy woman, Bill didn’t appreciate that, and I need to be with someone who sees me the way that you do”

Richard raised his eyebrows in response and Lily laughed

“Oh, don’t worry I’m not looking to move in with you, having you at my disposal with your appetites would probably kill me”

She laughed again then continued

“Love making with you is like Zumba and Pilates rolled into one and you would “appreciate” me into an early grave”

“So, what do you have planned?” Richard asked

“I’m going on a world cruise” she replied

“Really?” he asked, “on your own or with a friend?”

“I’m going with a gentleman admirer” she replied and blushed

“Good for you” Richard exclaimed

“So, when do you go?”

“I’m not leaving until January” she replied and gracefully got to her feet “So in the meantime I’m going to let you answer the question you’ve been asking yourself since the moment I walked in”

“Which is?”

“Is she wearing tights or stockings?”

No comments:

Post a Comment