Monday 20 June 2022

BROADBAND CONNECTION

 

I knew her name

And her email address

And I knew she was a poet

But that was all I guess

From her writing I divined a little more

She was clearly a Christian

And seemed to be an optimist

But I learned little more than this

Her profile only told me her age

And that we were from the same country

However, I thought I should contact her

I don’t really know why

I don’t make a habit of it

It’s not in my nature to pry

And I’m not one to seek out correspondents

I have never foisted my self

I’ve never been a joiner of things

Or actively looked for acquaintance

However, I felt almost compelled

No, I actually felt compelled

There was something you see

In her writing I suppose

That struck a chord in me

A kindred spirit possibly

Maybe we saw through the same eyes

Or shared the same moral compass

Or both like apple pies

I don’t know what it was

A connection of some kind

On some obscure level

I should say quite clearly

There was no romantic motive

I wasn’t looking for a lover

That ship sailed long ago

Nor did I need a companion

So, what prompted it, I don’t know

That aside I then faced the problem

Of what I should say to her

I couldn’t say I felt compelled

Or I felt there was a connection

She would have thought me mad

But while I struggled to find the words

A message popped into my inbox

And it was from her, I opened it instantly

Read the first line and smiled

“I hope you don’t mind me contacting you

I’m not sure what prompted me to write”

Isn’t life strange?

No comments:

Post a Comment