Sunday 19 June 2022

HAVE YOU SEEN HER?

 

The coffee shop was quiet

Much quieter than last week

When I last saw her,

Which was also the first time

But in those seven days

She has filled my every thought

I have haunted the coffee shop everyday

But I haven’t seen her again

And today once more

There is no sign of her

I should ask the waitress

But what would I say

“Have you seen that girl?

She was here a week ago

The girl who was sat there

In that easy chair

The girl with the chestnut hair

In a pixie cut, have you seen her”?

How ridiculous would that sound?

She would think me mad

Or worse a stalker

Maybe if I told her about her smile

A smile to brighten the darkest day

Or those green eyes

Hypnotic and mesmerising,

Or that soft velvet laugh

But no I would just sound creepy

So I order a coffee instead

And sit in her corner

Drinking my coffee

While pondering my insanity

“Do you mind if I join you”?

A voice halted my musings

It was her, my quarry

She was here and she was speaking to me

“Absolutely, please do”

I replied rather pompously

“I love this corner” she said

“I like to sit and watch the world go by”

We exchanged a smile

But now she was actually here

I was speechless and my head was spinning

And I felt a little guilty

For stalking her like prey

Then, in a soft easy tone

She spoke again, which put me at my ease

“Didn’t I see you in here last week?”

No comments:

Post a Comment