Wednesday 19 May 2021

DO YOU REMEMBER DANCING ALONG TO HARRY?

 

Do you remember?

When first we met

When we were set up

By our so-called friends

Tony and Gwen,

Who quickly abandoned us?

A quick introduction      

Then they were gone

Leaving us with each other

How awkward was that?

Being left with a complete stranger

You would never have chosen me

In a million years

And you were not my perfect choice

I had someone different in mind altogether

But there we were

Having to make small talk

With an unsuitable partner

Making do for the moment

While planning an escape

Then the music started

And I asked you to dance

You reluctantly agreed

I wasn’t bothered either way

I thought just one dance

Then I could desert you

With a clear conscience

Then just as we walked, hesitantly,

Onto the dance floor

The up-tempo number ended abruptly 

And for a moment there was nothing

Just the two of us feeling foolish

And wondering just how

We could leave the dance floor with our dignity

Then the music began again

And Harry Nilsson started to sing

We looked at each other briefly

And resigned ourselves to our fate

There was an awkward coming together

I gingerly put my arms around you

And we shuffled along to the music

Hoping that time would speed up

And the experience be over quickly

But as we danced along to Harry

The gap between us slowly decreased

Inch by inch until we were as one

And at that moment I felt at home

All thought of escape melted away

I never wanted to leave again

And now I wanted time to stand still

So, the dance would never end

We hardly left the dance floor all evening

And when we did it was brief

So eager were we to return to our embrace

“Without you” was the song

That we first danced to

And I have not been without you since

No comments:

Post a Comment