Friday 14 May 2021

THE SEARCH

 

Since I was a young man,

Little more than a boy

I searched for it, my holy grail

The key, which will unlock me

The piece of the puzzle, which will complete me

My reflection, my soul mate

I looked everywhere

But no love at first sight

No lightning bolts, no electric shocks

I searched for years for my perfect other

But that’s not right I didn’t seek perfection

I didn’t have a set of criteria

Not Hair colour, eyes, height, shape

Accent, social background, interests, or age

I didn’t have a vision of her

I didn’t even know what I sought

But when I saw her, I would know

Not that I went hunting

I didn’t engage in quests or pursuits

I knew that if it was supposed to happen it would

If I were fated to be alone, then so be it

So, I went about my living my life

Work, friends, family holidays in the lakes

And I had a very happy life

Not an empty existence

Just a feeling of incompleteness

One of the pleasures of life for me

Was inhabiting books shops

Proper bookshops with rows of leather and vellum

Shelves full of old friends

Dickens, Buchan, Lewis, Too many to name

One day I stood thumbing a well-read volume

And I dropped it to the floor inexplicably

I stooped to retrieve it

But another hand reached it first

As we both stood up

I breathed her scent then I met her gaze

And saw the smile on her lips and in her eyes

As she placed the book in my hand

Our fingers touched for the briefest moment

And a tingle of electricity passed between us

“Ah there you are,” I said to myself

No comments:

Post a Comment