Friday 14 May 2021

THIS MASQUERADE

 

When I reflect back

On our time together

People were amazed

By my patience

And my quiet resolve

To maintain,

The status quo.

Such forbearance

And fortitude

In the face

Of her constant betrayals

My endurance

And boundless tolerance

Astounded everyone

But to claim any virtue

Would be dishonest

Because it was so calculated

I was not blind

To her indiscretions.

And to our friends

My capacity for forgiveness

Seemed to far exceed

Her ability to shame me

But it was I

Who was the dishonest one

I maintained an air

Of cool dispassion

In an effort

To give her space

And freedom

So as not to drive her away

I wore the mask

Of the patient husband

But my noble efforts

Were in vain

As I appeared to her,

Merely indifferent

And I drove her away anyway

I should have been honest

True to my feelings

I should have discarded

All pretense

And removed the mask

No comments:

Post a Comment