Sunday 8 September 2024

The Islands in the Bay – Chapter (066) Coffee Date


 

Debbie Wilson had only recently turned fifty and had been a widow for eight years and thought that it was time to put some romance back in her life, whether out of desperation or loneliness, and dip her toe back in the water and begin dating.

She did think about dating apps, but her heart was never really in it.

But after she had a providential coming together with another car in the Stephenson’s Supermarket car park, she thought she might try something more spontaneous.

So about 90 minutes after the event she phoned the number on the business card that he gave her.

Daryn Goldsmith” he said

“Hi Daryn, its Debbie Wilson from this morning”

“Oh hello, is everything alright?” he asked

“Yes, yes, everything is fine” she said, feeling like she was 14 again

“I still feel bad about this morning”

“There really is no need” he retorted

“Please allow me to buy you a coffee by way of an apology” Debbie said

“There really is no need” He repeated

“It would make me feel better” she added

“Well, ok” he agreed “But I’m in Spaniards Creek for the day”

“That’s ok, there’s a Coffee shop there called the Galleon, I can meet you there at one o’clock” she suggested

“One thirty would be better” He said

 

Daryn got to the Galleon a few minutes late and Debbie was already seated at a table facing the door, drinking a coffee, and she smiled when he walked in.

He joined her at the table where she ordered him a coffee and he asked.

“Are you from the village?”

“No, I’m from the north, but I spent a lot of time here because I keep my boat moored here” she replied.

“What kind of boat?”

“A 30ft Masthead Sloop, called “The Sea Nymph”” She replied.

“What hull type?”

“Fin keel and skeg-hung rudder.”

“Made from?” he asked.

“Wood, built on the island in 1934” Debbie replied proudly.

“Nice”

“Do you sail?” She asked.

“Yes, but not since before my wife got sick.”  

“I’m sorry to hear that” she said, “I lost my husband 8 years ago.”

He too had suffered a bereavement but his had only been two years ago, so still felt fresh at times.

“Its two for me”

“Perhaps you’d like to come out on her one day” She asked.

“I would like that, thank you” Daryn replied.

“Would you like to see her?” she asked hopefully.

“Very much so, yes”

“Come on then” she said draining her coffee cup

 

They walked from the Galleon and over the bridge where they turned right and followed the tow path to the moorings.

“Here she is” Debbie said proudly “The Sea Nymph”

“What a beauty” he said

“Come aboard” Debbie said and gave him a full tour finishing in the cabin

“I’m very impressed” Daryn said

“I sleep aboard sometimes, when I’ve been working on her” She said

“I look forward to seeing her in action” he said     

“I look forward to showing you what she can do” Debbie stated

“And I look forward to seeing you again” Daryn added

“Likewise,” she said

No comments:

Post a Comment