Sunday 8 September 2024

The Islands in the Bay – Chapter (073) Plans and Schemes

 


Freelance Architect Carolyn Livingston was heading to Beacon Farm for another clandestine meeting with Molly Barrington and the team for the Spanish River site.

She liked Molly, she had gumption, she also appreciated any work that brought her back to the island.

She was a native of Spaniards Creek but had to leave for the mainland to pursue her career, but welcomed any commission that brought her home.    

When she was midway between the Manor Cliff and Norman, Beaches, she got a nearside front puncture and came to rest on the verge.

“Damn it” she exclaimed “Not again”

It was her second puncture in two days, and she still had the flat in the boot because she hadn’t had time to get it replaced.

It looked like she was going to have to walk the rest of the way and was going to be late for her meeting.

Carolyn got out of the car and gathered up her drawing tubes and put the straps over her shoulder, and did the same with her laptop bag and prepared to walk, but paused to wait for a passing pickup to pass by, but instead it stopped, and the window lowered

“Carolyn Livingston?” the driver said

“Howard?” she responded

“I heard you’d been seen on the island” Howard Nelson said

“Is everything ok?”

“Puncture” she replied “No spare”

“Are you working?”

“I am” she said “And I’m going to be late”

“Jump in, I’ll give you a lift,” he said

“Thanks Howard, you’re a star” she said and got in

“Where do you want dropping?”

“Beacon Farm please” she replied

“So how have you been?”

“I’m good” he replied “The yards doing well”

“That’s good to hear” she said

“And you?”

“Yes, I’m doing good” she replied

“I never had a doubt that you would” Howard said as he pulled into the yard at Beacon Farm. 

“Thanks for the lift, Howard” Carolyn said “You’re a life saver”

“No problem”

Then as she walked towards the house he called out

“You’re looking good by the way”

And she turned and smiled.

 

The reason Carolyn was at Beacon Farm was that they had another clandestine meeting at in the Beacon farm barn, because at Molly’s behest George Wood, had gathered together the relevant group of people involved in the building renovations, Adam Jandrell who was Project managing proceedings, Franci Liebenberg who he called his right hand “man” and Architect Carolyn, as well as the Vicar Arielle Nicholas.

 

“Sorry I’m late” she said “I had a puncture”

“Not to worry” Molly said “We’ve just been discussing drains”

“I’m sorry to have missed that” she said, and everyone chuckled

“Good news is that the Building Inspector has signed off on the work so far” Adam said “So he’s happy”

While Adam was talking Carolyn set up her laptop and started the power point, so everyone could see the plans.

After that Carolyn took questions and then when everyone was happy, she gave a set of drawings to Adam.

“I don’t know if it’s feasible or not, but I want to put a foot bridge across the river down here” Molly said pointing at a drone shot of the area

“We will have to submit the plan to the parish council” Adam said

“Whose on the committee?” Danny asked

“I am” the Vicar said

“Howard Nelson, Church Warden,

Headmistress Margaret Johnson, Katie Harrison, and Rachel Hanson from the Galleon, who is also my Verger”

“Bridges are not really my thing” Carolyn said “you really need someone with Civil Engineering experience, I can give you a name of someone I’d highly recommend, and I know he’s available”

“If he’s that good he’s unlikely to be available at short notice” Franci pointed out

“Ordinarily I would agree” Carolyn said “But he’s available because his wife has breast cancer and is dying, so a small project like this he could do in his sleep”

“It looks like there was a bridge there at one time, the foundations are clearly visible” Molly said.

“Yes, it was struck by lightning about 20 years ago and fell into the river” Franci said

“Well just for the record I would like one that doesn’t do that” Molly said, and they all laughed.

“It won’t be cheap though” Adam added

“Let me worry about that” Molly said “I think it would benefit everyone”

“Ok let’s go Franci” Adam said “Lets crack on”

 

Carolyn stayed on a while longer to talk over a couple of points and the George said

“Come on I’ll run you up to St Pierre and we’ll get your tyre sorted”

“Thanks George,” she said “But I actually need two”

“Bummer”

 

After stopping to pick up the spare from her boot George drove her to St Pierre, had the tyre replaced and returned her to her stricken car and helped her change the wheel.

“My work here is done” he said “I need to get off”

“Thanks George”

“Your welcome” he said “And don’t forget to get your spare replaced”

 

She checked her watch and got in her car and headed into Spaniards Creek and drove into Nelson’s Boat Yard. 

It had shaken her a little when she saw Howard that morning.

They were actually a thing, for about three years, but it had been eight years since they split up.

She had just been offered a job on the mainland and he had just taken over his father’s yard and neither of them could see a way through the impasse.

It had been her biggest regret, and she was left wondering if her puncture was providential, she was rapidly approaching her 40th birthday and he was only a few weeks behind, maybe it’s their time, their last chance.

She walked into the office and Howard was sat behind a desk.

“Hello” he said with surprise “This is a treat, twice in one day”

“I thought I’d take you for a coffee as a thank you for this morning” she said nervously

“I’d love to, but we’re just about to head over to Sharpington to tow a schooner back to the yard” he said, “Can I get a raincheck?”

“Absolutely, but it won’t be until the end of the month, maybe the beginning of next” she replied

“Maybe we could do dinner?” he suggested

“Ok I’ll call you when I know the dates” she said “Bye”

She had a wry smile on her face when she left the yard and headed back to the port.

No comments:

Post a Comment